ONE OF THE BEST APPELLATE LAWYERS IN ORANGE COUNTY
• $45 million in a breach of loan/lender liability action
• $16.3 million in a family business dispute
• $3.1 million in an insurance accounting dispute
• $2 million in a fraudulent sale of a motel
• $1.7 million in the sale of a computer business
• $1.5 million in a law partnership dissolution dispute
• Defeated sexual harassment claims
• Defeated the Insurance Commissioner’s claim against an insurance executive
• Defeated a multi-million dollar premises liability claim
• Defeated malicious prosecution claims
• Court of Appeals declared a key component of a city law invalid
• Court of Appeals reinstated insured’s rights to sue insurer for bad faith for delay in payment of death benefits
• Court of Appeals declared that city government unlawfully interfered with property owner’s rights
• Court of Appeals upheld trademark infringement injunction
• Court of Appeals stripped administrative agency of governmental power
Mr. Mahacek has been admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, Ninth Circuit of Appeals, United States Court of Military Appeals, all District Courts in the State of California, the District Court for the State of Arizona, and the California Supreme Court.
Mr. Mahacek’s military accolades include the Meritorious Service Medal [with gold star]; Navy Commendation Medal [with Combat V]; Marine Corps Reserve Medal [with star]; Armed Forces Reserve Medal; National Defense Medal [with star]; R.V.N. Cross of Gallantry; Vietnamese Campaign Medal [with star]; Vietnam Service Medal [with clasp]; and Navy Unit Citation.[Lt. Col. U.S.M.C.R. (Ret.)]Mr. Mahacek was one of the original founders of the California Neurofibromatosis Foundation and served as the Nation Chief for the Y.M.C.A.’s Indian Princesses.
He was an original organizer of the Orange County Girl Scout Olympics.
JIM P. MAHACEK – CERTIFIED APPELLATE ATTORNEY IN ORANGE COUNTY
Jim P. Mahacek, a member of the California State Bar Committee on Appellate Courts from 2003 to 2006, is a Certified Appellate Specialist. His practice emphasizes complex civil appeals from civil trials, insurance bad faith, partnership dissolution, and general business matters.
Mr. Mahacek was born in Sioux Falls, South Dakota on June 15, 1947. He received his B.S. in English literature from the University of South Dakota in 1969, together with a J.D. from Pepperdine University in 1977. In addition, Mr. Mahacek is a graduate of the Naval Justice School, Newport, Rhode Island, and the United States Marine Corps Command and Staff College.
In law school, Mr. Mahacek was a winner of the Bancroft-Whitney Award for Excellence In Tort Law. He has been an instructor in legal writing for the University of California, Irvine, Extension Division; served as a Judge Pro Tem of the Orange County Court; and has been a CLE Instructor for Lohrman Education Services and for the State CEB. He has participated as a Distinguished Speaker in Appellate Oral Advocacy at Chapman School of Law. Mr. Mahacek has taught appellate practice at the State Bar Convention in Monterey, California and three times been on the faculty of the Orange County Bar’s College of Appellate Advocacy. He has also served as Section Chair, Program Chair, and Communications Chair of the Orange County Appellate Section. The Peter Elliot Inn of Court has designated Mr. Mahacek as “Master of the Bench.” Mr. Mahacek has taught appellate law for the Orange County Bar Association and for various Inns of Court.